Link to Volunteer Packet template
After the community volunteers have signed up, it is a good idea for either the partner organization or the workshop organizers to send a volunteer packet in advance of the workshop, including:
- Logistics – how to get to the site, time and date.
- Background information about the host organization.
- Background information about workshop organizers. Possibly a list of workshop trainers with short bios, if available.
- Background information about the selected collection, including a description of its content, its history, its size, and what formats will be worked on at the workshop.
- Pictures of the formats they will be working with, if possible.
- Statement on why archiving and preservation is important, and how their efforts will contribute to it.
- Easy-to-understand description of the types of activities that they will receive hands-on experience in, i.e. triage, inspection, cataloging.
- Accessibility information, and any physical requirements (e.g. ability to lift a certain weight, needing to stand for several hours, etc).
- If refreshments will be provided, and opportunity to state dietary restrictions.
- A list of event sponsors (this is not only to acknowledge supply and equipment donors, but to provide community volunteers with info about where to get supplies and equipment in the future)