Develop a workflow and procedures.
Once you have chosen the organization, identified a collection, and are familiar with the organization’s practices, the workshop’s final goals and workflow can be determined. As noted above film and video workflows can be quite different. Defining the tasks that will be performed is key to all the preparation that follows. For example:
- Will the films and tapes be labeled with unique identifiers?
- Will the workshop organizers provide a template for cataloging or does the site have one?
- How many items will be examined and cataloged?
- Is re-housing be possible or desired?
- For film materials, how will inspection be accomplished?
- What is the ideal number of moving image archivists and volunteers?
- Will everyone be doing the same tasks or will there be different stations where different work is being done?