Digitizing analog audiovisual assets opens a collection for use in research and creative projects. It helps organizations meet their mission, and it provides access that can support fundraising and advocacy efforts. Before sending audiovisual assets to a vendor for digitization, it is important to determine two things:
- Do I need to use a vendor? Is it more cost and time effective?
- If I am using a vendor, how do I choose a vendor and how do I communicate what I need from them?
Working with a Digitization Vendor – A Primer is a step-by-step guide though the process. It includes:
- Determining whether to use a vendor or not
- Reviewing advantages and disadvantages
- Performing cost analysis
- Choosing a vendor
- Comparing preservation levels of vendors
- Vendor experience and your experience
- Working with a vendor
- Determining deliverables
- Writing a contract
- Determining how your files will be delivered
- Performing quality control